Who can apply for asylum

Access to international protection (asylum) procedure system is free of charge.
A person seeking international protection is any alien or stateless person who declares to any Greek authority, orally or in writing, that he/she is seeking asylum or requests not to be deported because he/she is in fear of persecution because of his/her race, religion, nationality, participation in a particular social group or his/her political beliefs, or because he/she is in danger of suffering serious harm in his/her country of origin or country of previous residence, especially because he/she is in danger of facing the death penalty or execution, torture or inhuman or degrading treatment or his/her life or physical integrity is in danger because of an international or civil war. Also, any alien who is transferred to Greece by a European state which implements “Dublin III” Regulation is regarded to be a a person seeking international protection (asylum).
The European states which comply with the ‘Dublin III’ Regulation are: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, the Netherlands, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lichtenstein, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Malta, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the United Kingdom.
Please be informed that the Asylum Service is not competent to examine and therefore to register your application if: a) you have already submitted an application for international protection to the Hellenic Police, and that application is still pending, b) you already have an asylum applicant’s card (pink card).
The Asylum Service may accept a subsequent application only if you have received a final decision rejecting the asylum application submitted to the Hellenic Police

If you are a minor unaccompanied by your parents in Greece, follow this link.

If you are in Police detention or in a Reception and Identification Centre, follow this link.

The competent authorities to which you need to submit your application are the Regional Asylum Offices and the Asylum Units.